Home        2008 First team fixtures                      KIBWORTH CRICKET CLUB

Kibworth CC - 1st XI vs Malden Wanderers CC - 1st XI

Result: Kibworth CC - 1st XI Won by 5 wickets                                                                                Photo Gallery

Date: Sun 21st Sep 2008 @ 11:00                                                                                                     Match Report                                                                                                 

Ground: Southgate CC

Type:  Cup : ECB Cockspur Cup - National Stage (Final)

Scoring:  Standard

Toss:  1st XI won the toss and decided to bowl


Malden Wanderers CC - 1st XI

      R B      4s      6s
Jonathan Hess ct Tim Mason b Daniel Broughton          37       45 
Dan Euston + ct Charlie Morgan b Daniel Broughton   25  41 
Laurie Evans   b Richard Jackson   48  73 
David Gorrod ro    16  39 
Alan Cope ro Andrew Smith   14  30 
James Bond   b Russell Spiers  
Neil Mander   b Tim Mason  
Jon Albert Not Out   19  17 
Giles Puckle *   b Simon Renshaw   21  14 
Simon Crampton      ct Sundeep Patel        b Aamir Mahmood  
Michael Cottrell Not Out  
Extras  ( 10lb  13w  )   23  
Total  (9 wickets, 45 overs)       210  


Fall Of Wickets

64-1 Dan Euston (Jonathan Hess*); 75-2 Jonathan Hess (Laurie Evans*);
111-3 David Gorrod (Laurie Evans*); 152-4 Alan Cope (Laurie Evans*);
155-5 James Bond (Laurie Evans*); 156-6 Neil Mander (Laurie Evans*);
162-7 Laurie Evans (Jon Albert*); 202-8 Giles Puckle (Jon Albert*);
209-9 Simon Crampton (Jon Albert*); 

* = notout batsman,


       O      M R      W     Nb      Wd
Aamir Mahmood      8 0       31 1
Simon Renshaw 7 1 41 1
Daniel Broughton 6 0 29 2
Russell Spiers 9 2 32 1
Tim Mason 9 1 33 1
Richard Jackson 6 1 34 1


1st XI

      R B      4s      6s
Greg Smith   b Michael Cottrell         19       32 
Sundeep Patel   b Neil Mander   16  34 
Nicholas Ferraby ct Jonathan Hess b Michael Cottrell   75  91 
Andrew Smith * LBW b Giles Puckle   15  23 
Charlie Morgan + ct Simon Crampton      b Giles Puckle   43  64 
Tim Mason Not Out   24  17 
Simon Renshaw Not Out  
Aamir Mahmood       Did Not Bat          
Richard Jackson Did Not Bat          
Daniel Broughton Did Not Bat          
Russell Spiers Did Not Bat          
Extras  ( 7lb  6w  )   13  
Total  (5 wickets, 44.3 overs)       211  


Fall Of Wickets

27-1 Sundeep Patel (Sundeep Patel*); 41-2 Greg Smith (Nicholas Ferraby*);
77-3 Andrew Smith (Nicholas Ferraby*); 161-4 Charlie Morgan (Nicholas Ferraby*);
201-5 Nicholas Ferraby (Tim Mason*);

* = notout batsman,


  O      M R      W      Nb      Wd
Michael Cottrell 9 1      20 2
Neil Mander      7.3 0 43 1
Alan Cope 2 0 17 0
Giles Puckle 9 0 46 2
Simon Crampton      9 0 31 0
Jon Albert 8 0 47 0


Umpires Peter Jones Jonathon Cousins
Scorers Judi Gardener Maurice Henderson

Match Report

Kibworth were crowned Cockspur Cup champions for the second time in five years after a magnificent all-round performance at sun-bathed Southgate yesterday.

A disciplined display with the ball and in the field was followed up with a perfectly-judged run chase to see them emerge five- wicket winners over Malden Wanderers.

Chasing 211 for victory in 45 overs, Kibworth had their sticky moments.

But they did not wilt despite the obvious pressure of playing in a national final.

Leading the pursuit was Nick Ferraby, whose 75 from 91 deliveries deservedly earned him the man-of-the-match award.

Click here!

Not far behind was his colleague, Charlie Morgan, whose 43 was almost as crucial.

He and Ferraby joined forces with their side in considerable trouble at 77-3 in the 19th over.

Yet, in the course of the next 19 overs, the fourth-wicket pair not only rebuilt Kibworth's position but also made their side favourites to lift the trophy.

They scored 84 in that period of time and, while the runs may not have come at a torrent, the boundaries and sixes arrived at exactly the right time as the batsmen did not allow the required run-rate to escalate out of control.

When Morgan fell in the 38th over, Kibworth needed a further 50 from seven overs.

Although that is not always straight-forward in such demanding circumstances, it was a target they would have settled for at the start of their reply.

Ferraby looked for all the world as though he was determined to see the job through, having been joined in the middle by Tim Mason.

Sadly, he fell to a catch on the boundary from the first ball of the penultimate over with 10 runs still required.

Mason, however, was well set and, with Simon Renshaw the next man in, there was no panic in the Kibworth ranks.

Mason finished unbeaten on a nerveless 24.

But it was left to Renshaw to find the ropes from consecutive balls in the final over to spark the celebrations among the hundreds who had travelled from Leicestershire.

Kibworth would probably have been reasonably satisfied in keeping Malden down to 210 from their 45 overs after skipper Andy Smith won the toss.

Conditions were markedly different from those at Lord's almost a fortnight ago when grey skies had given the bowlers great assistance as the sides met for the first time.

Malden openers Jon Hess and Dan Euston made good progress against the Kibworth new-ball attack of Aamir Mahmood and Renshaw, and it was 14 overs before Smith's side were able to break through.

Dan Broughton did the trick and removed both openers in consecutive overs to reduce Malden to 75-2 from 16 overs, giving Kibworth a foothold in the game, and the spin trio of Russell Spiers, Richard Jackson and Mason kept the brakes on.

But a stand of 41 in 10 overs between Laurie Evans and Alan Cope appeared to put Malden in sight of a total in excess of 220.

They buckled, though, after Cope was run out and, in the space of 10 more runs, they lost a further three wickets as Kibworth tightened their grip.

The key wicket was that of top-scorer Evans, whose 48 had held the Malden innings together.

When he was dismissed, the county side must have harboured hopes of bowling out their rivals for considerably less than 200.

Malden did not see it that way and the crisp hitting of Giles Puckle and Jon Albert not only denied Kibworth that opportunity but set up a sizeable total.

In just four swashbuckling overs, they scored 40 between them and, with 24 runs coming from the final 12 deliveries, Kibworth knew that a good show with the bat was required.

They got precisely that and the five-wicket margin did not flatter the newly-crowned champions in any way.

Kibworth ace praised for sweet timing

The pacing of Nick Ferraby's Cockspur Cup-winning innings for Kibworth at Southgate on Sunday bordered on perfection.

His 75 against Malden Wanderers helped to move his side from potential trouble to within sight of victory.

The only reason that it was not perfect was that Ferraby did not quite see the job through, falling with 10 runs required. Still, that is splitting hairs. There was no damage done as Tim Mason and Stuart Renshaw saw Kibworth home with five wickets and three balls in hand as they chased down a target of 211.

There is no doubt that Ferraby earned the man-of-the-match award for his 91-ball knock, which included just one boundary and a couple of sixes.

"It was a superb innings," said Kibworth team manager Russell Cobb.

Click here!

"Nick showed maturity and experience out there. He has played a lot of high-quality cricket and that came through. He thoroughly deserved the man-of-the-match award."

Ferraby also had excellent support from Charlie Morgan, whose 43 in a fourth-wicket stand of 84 helped to turn the game in the county side's favour after they had wobbled on 77-3.

"Nick and Charlie consolidated when we were three down," said Cobb. "It meant that we had wickets in hand for the last 15 overs and we had to back ourselves in that position."

Ferraby said that initially he had wanted to "take the game" to Malden when he went to the crease following the dismissal of opener Sunny Patel.

Kibworth had made a steady start with Patel and Greg Smith putting on 26.

However, the loss of Greg and Andy Smith set back the Kibworth position until Ferraby and Morgan not only restored order but put their side in the pound seats.

Ferraby was full of praise for the innings of his fourth-wicket partner. "He batted really well," he said. "Coming in in that situation, there was a lot of pressure being put on by the opposition. But Charlie took it to them.

"There were a few risky shots in there but he had the guts to play them – he backed himself. He is a great talent and needs to keep believing that."

Boundaries were not thick on the ground during the 19-over stand but they seemed to arrive just when one was required to keep the scoring rate at a good level.

The rest of the partnership was built on good running, the pair picking the gaps, running hard and putting Malden under pressure in the field.

It added up to Kibworth's second national crown in five years, erasing the disappointment of last year's defeat at Lord's.

"It has been a massive game," said Ferraby.

"We have been waiting for it for a couple of weeks after the first match at Lord's was rained off. To get here and win is amazing.

"It was a tense finish but they always are. To win two out of three national finals is an amazing feeling."

It does not end there, either. Part of the prize for the side is a trip out to Barbados later in the year. Travelling to the Caribbean as national champions, though, is just the icing on the cake.